Saturday, October 5, 2013

Peroneal Tendonitis in Right Foot

A couple weeks ago, I discovered some pain near my right heel, on the outside of the foot, near that ankle bone. I first noticed it at the beginning of a walk around the neighborhood, but I chalked it up to the usual suspects: Fibromyalgia or Chronic Myofascial Pain.

Since it wasn't excruciating, I decided to try to "walk it off" as they say. I figured muscle spasms frequently feel better after I move them and warm them up, so, with my best walking shoes, I continued on the walk for 20 minutes or so. I also wanted to get outside, get some fresh air, and move around.
When the pain persisted through that evening, I thought my plan had backfired, and perhaps the walk aggravated things. That was my first clue that this wasn't about a muscle.

When the work week began the following Monday, I realized I had something going on in this finicky foot of mine. By coincidence, a co-worker had just been through a foot injury herself, which caused pain and swelling. That made me wonder: did I injure something? Is it swelling or inflamed?

I checked the area for tenderness and found it to be slightly hotter and puffier than the other foot, but just barely. It didn't look too bad. I started taking anti-inflammatory medication (Aleve), trying to elevate the foot, and icing the area. I developed a slight limp during the course of the week, which manifested in additional pains in the compensating, surrounding foot muscles. I almost used my cane, but didn't. I hate how people react to the cane. There is no great story, no specific moment of injury. I wasn't even sure there was anything going on with this foot, or just pain, which, as all you fibromites know, happens all the time.

By that Wednesday, things were not improving, so I took steps to see a doctor. I made a call and stopped into an immediate care place, but several barriers arose. Since the Aleve and icing was helping the foot pain throughout the day, my pain was worst early each morning, then got better toward evening. I would get my hopes up each evening, only to be disappointed the next morning.
I believe I may have injured the peroneal tendon in my foot, possibly while increasing my stair-climbing from four to nine floors at a time, the week before this all started. I also remember having trouble with my warrior poses during a yoga session that weekend. I couldn't keep my balance on my feet. I found information online that indicates the peroneal tendonitis usually happens when you increase athletic activity.

At any rate, I'm happy to report that, today, the foot is much better. It's been back to normal for most of this week. After resting to prevent further injury, I am now slowly trying to get back to my stair-climbing (I did only four at a time this week) and other exercise. I even did some elliptical yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.