Thursday, November 4, 2010

Making Molehills out of Mountains

I've been dealing with many symptoms lately - some old, some new - and have been a bit run down.  I'm noticing little tasks and chores are piling up on me while I postpone them to rest or try to get comfortable for a while.  I have notes about various things I jotted down while away from the place where I need to do them, reminders about stuff I need to do when not in the middle of doing something else, etc.   The result is a mountain of undone stuff that stares at me every time I sit down at my desk full of papers.

This is about the time I remembered to jot down one more note for myself: "Do just one thing."  Rather than bemoaning the fact that I am so behind on my pile of chores, I am going to rejuvenate myself by picking one task and getting it done and off the heap.  If getting that one thing done creates a productive inertia and I am up to doing more, even better.  But the pressure is off for the session after the first task is done.  

Last night, after I put up the note to remind me to take my own, good advice, I filed a few documents that have piled up in my inbox at home.  It only took me about five minutes to do, but it felt great to finally get that task done.  Once that was done, I checked one of my to-do lists for something quick I could squeeze in before dinner and got that done, too.  Whoohoo!  How could I have forgotten one of my best ideas so easily?  Let's just blame Fibro Fog for that. ;)

When you're in pain, procrastinating a task or two is okay - to a point, but if it becomes a habit, your self-esteem can feed into a vicious cycle of feeling depressed and having more pain.  Conquer that depression by doing one, easy thing that's been nagging at you for a few days (or weeks).  You'll be surprised at how much better you will feel by having even one thing finally be done and off the list.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right. Like you and many of us, chores and paperwork pile up and up. Just do the important thing to you most one at a time. Things will get done in time.

    Wishing you well,

    Teia

    P.S. I will be in Chicago, short notice, 11/12 for 5 days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. Looking slowly at one next task and not the whole list constantly is useful too.
    I tend to be hard on myself.
    What if any influence do you think the weather has on symptoms of fibromyalgia?
    from Phila.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so easy to forget to just take one thing at a time and I'm sure most fibromites beat themselves up a lot about the undone tasks. We shouldn't. We need to remember that.

    As for the weather, I know that when the barometric pressure drops, I tend to get migraines. Many of us have an increase in pain overall when it rains, and especially when it's cold. Does this happen with you, Ester?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.