Monday, March 7, 2011

I'm Going Off the PPI

I left a message for my GI doctor last Friday because I was getting low on the proton pump inhibitor (PPI) medication and wasn't sure if I needed to continue taking it.

As you may recall, I began taking them to treat a painful bout of gastritis a few months back. I had found relief after taking the medication daily (once each morning). Anyway, I just spoke with the doctor about whether or not to continue taking this medication and was told to try staying off the drug for a while and see how I do. Since my gastritis seems to be under control and my IBS is finally under control at the moment, I'm hoping my body will be thankful (and not vengeful) for taking one less drug each day.

On a side note, I'm coughing a ridiculously lot since last Thursday. I've had an annoying, dry cough for a few years now, but since last Thursday, it got really frequent. As of Friday, the cough seems to have gotten a tiny bit of a rattle, but only sometimes. I assumed I was getting a bug, but because I am not dealing with any other cold or flu symptoms (from what I can tell as a fibromite) I'm wondering if GERD is the next problem. I think getting off the proton pump inhibitor now could be telling if the cough gets worse.

It would be nice to just have some stable health for a while, but with FM, if it's not one thing it's another.

C'est la vie...

3 comments:

  1. Benia: I've been looking for other bloggers who have fibromyalgia. I think we can support each other. I wrote about what I like to call the Fibro smack-down this week. Keep writing. It helps. Peace, YaYa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing, Yaya. :) There are a lot of us fibromites blogging - I'm just one of many - and we certainly do support each other. Writing is very therapeutic, and sharing what I learn about myself with others helps me feel a bit more useful, despite my illnesses.

    I'm glad to have "met" you and hope you can join the online FM-ily. I also look forward to reading the Fibro smack-down. Do you have a link to it that you can share?

    Wishing you happy days ahead,
    Benia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I'm dumb. It's the most recent post in your blog, of course!
    http://myseatonthebeach.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-seat-on-bed.html

    Thanks for sharing a bit of your world with me. It's nice to see how other fibromites handle the daily (minutely) challenges of living with FMS.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.