Thursday, February 7, 2013

Fibro Fog & Language Problems

I recently found this article that discusses fibro fog, specifically language problems.  I found it to be relevant because I am challenged at work by people who prefer face-to-face interactions or phone calls to my emails and texts.

Part of my job involves meaningful discussions with just about anyone else in my company.  Even if they could understand why I rely heavily on written communications, I don't think it's necessary for me to explain it to them all.  But when I hear myself talk in meetings sometimes, I have become painfully aware of how halting and imprecise I sound when I cannot find the appropriate words.  Even worse, it's distracting to me to have others tell me they cannot follow what I am saying.  Then I might lose my train of thought.
 As a compromise, when I need to discuss things with others, I find that starting to draft an email helps me figure out what I want to say, but then I make the phone call instead of emailing.  It doesn't help when unforeseen topics arise, but it's something.  Luckily I'm not easily embarrassed, so I keep pushing myself to be better despite the discomfort. It's a tough world out there sometimes, so I guess it's a good thing that I don't back down from challenges too easily.

Do you have these problems with words?  If so, what do you do to cope?

huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.