Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Feeling Pretty Good

Just wanted to post quickly that I've been sleeping much better lately, and have not been experiencing so much pain as my previous "usual" most days.  I've had twitches and headaches and the odd pains here and there (like what's with this TMJ soreness in the right side today and yesterday?), and still get fatigued somewhat easily, but with some pacing and caution, I seem to be doing okay at the moment.  It's hard to remember to notice the days when I'm not dealing with 17 strange pains or other symptoms, but I do believe that it's important to stop and appreciate the absence of symptoms, whichever ones they may be.

Today, I was reminded of the back pain I would typically experience during any given day when I had a sudden, sharp, muscle spasm today at work.  It made me realize that I'd been working more days, and have been feeling more "human" recently.  By that I mean that I can smile, I can walk at a reasonable pace most of the time, and I can talk to people about various topics without being constantly distracted by various pains and discomfort and my next move to try to relieve it.  As a caution, I took a half-tablet of a muscle relaxant and moved around a little.  It seems to have helped, but I feel it wanting to stage a coup.  My awareness of it lurking there will remind me to continue move around a little more than usual to prevent it from flaring up, hopefully.  I've learned so much from my years of dealing with these random symptoms!

This is reminding me, once again, of a task I've been putting off for a while now: update my WRAP.  My WRAP is my "Wellness Recovery Action Plan" and in it, I have details about how to proceed, when my fibro-fogged brain forgets, when I recognize a trigger for a flare-up, a mild flare-up, a major flare-up, and everything in between.  What has worked for me and what hasn't?  This is my reference for me and anyone in my household who may need help figuring out what to do when things happen to a chronic pain sufferer like myself.  It's good to have one just for yourself, too.  But definitely keep it in sight, or it will escape you in moments of need.  Take it from me.  I have forgotten, plenty of times, what I should do next during times of crisis.

Once I make the updates, I'll be sure to share with you all so you can create your own reference.  Having to update the information feels like a kind of a graduation of sorts.  I had limited experience with Fibromyalgia when I first wrote it, but now that I've kind of been around the block and figured out my body a little better, it's time to improve it with more current information.

Things are busy at work, as always, and life at home is plenty busy as well.  I do, however, feel like I am able to do more around the house lately.  My personal to-do list, however, is not getting much shorter for some reason.  I wonder if part of the reason I'm feeling better is that I'm forcing myself to do less after a long workday.  I may have to test that theory out and see if doing one or two things in the evening is safe for me to do.  My energy limits seem to be a moving target, so this will be an experiment.

I'm going to follow my own advice and do just one thing on my list tonight. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. Dear Benia,

    Thank you so much for all the information you have provided. I found your site when I requested:"eliminating Savella?" This is my 10th day on Savella; just called the Dr requesting info on stopping and returning to Celexa & Tramadol. I felt better before I started Savella than I do now. In fact, I have not been in such pain in years, plus headaches & insomnia.

    I am 60yrs old and first encountered this "mystery" disease at age 40. The Dr. told me I was depressed & had marriage issues.( Little did I know it but there were big issues that a divorce solved nicely!) The next DR did a hysterectomy(emergency, very necessary & symptoms subsided for 5 years) Add menopause & those meds to the basket for the next 10 years. The rheumatologist said to exercise more and rest when needed.?? Another DR told me that there was no evidence that people had "fibro". My neighbor recently told me to stop being so lazy. I hope you are at least smiling at this point.

    My second husband, my sister and my best friend are my dearest friends who totally understand. They have seen those really bad days when the legs are cramped; fingers curled; my back in spasms and not leaving the bed. We call them "fibro days" and understand that it make take a few days to feel like talking. On those good days, I admit I over do things because I am so excited to be pain-free.

    My fav form of fun is working with my horse, ODIE. It has been 3 weeks since I have ridden but grooming & hugging can be good substitutes. Walking is ok but can be painful, especially for extended periods. Thank goodness for elevators...hate stairs. Driving more than 3hrs is rough. I have traded cars many times looking for the one that is comfortable for seating (must have heated seats!) and does not "hurt" my arms to steer. Driving the great American Cadillac now.

    I retired from teaching due to constant illness (immune system=0)...kids carry a variety of diseases. At the time, "fibro" was not considered a disability reason for retirement. My colleagues often commented that I was always too tired but scoffed at the "fibro" idea as a designer disease.

    Typing is tough today but I had to respond to your site. My best friend had cancer 2yrs ago and said at least her problems were now over because she could not imagine a lifetime of chronic pain & "fibro".

    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for starting this site. I have a blog but nothing life changing,just funny.
    odiethehaffiehorse.blogspot.com

    Sincerely,
    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad someone out there is getting some usefulness from the things I am posting. I sometimes wonder if anyone has read these things, but I know that for every person who actually comments, there must be dozens more who read but do not comment. I'm glad you commented and glad you are learning about Fibromyalgia, Savella (bleh!) and now have a great support network close to you. It's hard to go through Fibro alone. I'm lucky to have my husband, my niece who also has Fibro, and lots of online Fibromites who can relate and offer helpful advice. You're welcome and thank you so much for stopping by and writing. I took a peek at your blog and your lovely horse in the photos. Odie looks like a sweetie. Take care!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I also found your blog trying to find information about weaning off of savella. I actually had a really good experience with Savella, but I was having issues weaning off of it - probably because I was on it for a year and a half. With the help from dr's and blogs like yours I think I've finally weaned off of it :)

    I was diagnosed with fibro 4 years ago when I was 26 years old. I've learned a lot and still need to learn more about how to live with fibro and I really enjoy reading other people's experiences. I'm glad I stumbled onto your blog and look forward to reading your ups and downs. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear from readers like you. I'm glad you were able to get off Savella. I, too, had to wean by learning from others online who shared their experiences, since my (former) doctor was absent for the experience.

      There is a lot of information about Fibromyalgia, but I'm sure you realize that it can vary in quality from reliable to complete BS. Be wary of any site that says they have the "cure", especially if the cure is a product or service that is for sale. Many "normals" mean well when they recommend things, but you need to educate yourself so that you can be your own health advocate. Even your doctors will not always know what's good for you. I learn what I can from reliable sources like Fibromyalgia Network and the other sites I have listed on my blog.

      Thanks for commenting and hope to hear from you again sometime. Take care!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music helps me escape some of my pain during the day. You might like this and other songs like it for when you need to relax.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffbaaRViBq8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do enjoy music as a pain distraction. This one is not quite my style, but I could see how it could relax you. Whatever you like. Thanks.

      Delete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.