Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mallory, My Fibroduck

This is Mallory. :)  Mallory is going to help spread awareness for Fibromyalgia by posing for photos in various locations.  I take her picture and upload to Fibroduck's website, where everyone in the world can see her.


Her spots represent the invisible illness of Fibromyalgia, so you can tell she's not a "normal" ducky.  She's still trying to live a fun and fruitful life, even though she's different, just like I am.  Although sometimes it may seem strange to see a ducky in certain places, it's representative of how strange it may feel for us fibromites to be in this world - kind of like a duck out of water.  Even though you can't see how strange it feels, we feel it.  We compensate however we can and try to make the most of each situation.

I bought my ducky in a 3-pack from a local Party City store for under $3 and customized her with dots myself, but if you like you can order a free* ducky from Jamie Goodwin, the creator of Fibroduck.  (*Due to the expense of running the charitable website, she is now asking for just the cost of postage.)

Please visit Fibroduck online and view some of the photos uploaded there.  Download a poster and join in the fun by taking your own photos and uploading them to share with others.  It's a fun way to do something that helps fibromyalgia awareness, which in turn helps fibromyalgia patients like myself get better, more effective treatments and helps reduce confusion and misunderstanding of this chronic, incurable condition.

P.S.  I have two extra duckies I would be happy to give away to two lucky readers of my blog who are interested in joining up with Fibroduck.  If you'd like your own fibroduck, please let me know by leaving a comment or emailing me check the profile page from my blog's "About Me" page).  I will send a ducky to each of the first two people who are interested.  (Be sure to leave me your email address so I can contact you.) 

2 comments:

  1. This Winter has been tough on my joints and back. Does or have anyone tried that 024 fibro gel? I was diganosed in 2007. The doc put me on Lyric and morbid, I think that is how you spell it. Anyway I gained 24 lbs with it and I was active too. Now I am semi retired and sore as can be. Is the cold also upsetting it, do you think......Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the gel, but I have used Zostrix for stubborn back pain that stays around for a long time. It's made with capsaicin (hot peppers) so it feels like a heating pad on you when you can't have one with you. Some folks like it, some don't. You definitely have to be careful with it and don't get it in your eyes or anywhere sensitive. Otherwise, it works well to sooth the pain and is supposed to reduce the Substance P that causes pain, if you use it regularly.

    The cold is hard on most fibromites. Stay warm and try to keep active if you can.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.