Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Worse Half - Left

What a complete fudgebucket of a day today is!

My sleep has degraded until it just completely crapped out at 3am this morning.  I woke up and went to pee, thinking I could fall back asleep after coming back from the bathroom if I don't turn the lights on.  Yes, it's come to that.  I try to fool myself into thinking I'm not really fully awake.  It has worked occasionally, but not this time.  I got back to bed and realized my plan failed miserably, as I was not able to get comfortable, plus I was wide awake (even though I spent all day at work yesterday feeling like a zombie).  I gave up and spent my early morning hours playing on Facebook, waiting for the Sandman to beckon me back to bed.  He stood me up.

So I started my day and flipped on the news while I had some breakfast.  Things were fine until I felt like I needed to move my neck a bit, so I did.  Instead of feeling a relieving adjustment, I felt excruciating pain.  It feels like I've contorted it into some awful position, but all I did was move it a little bit.  I didn't even stretch it!

So, ever since about 6am this morning, the left side of my neck, my left shoulder, my left arm, and the left side of my back, all the way down to my left hip, are all seized up in pain that intensifies with any movement.  Lovely. 

I waited a bit to see if it would subside.  Eventually, I had to decide to use up yet another of my very few remaining vacation days to stay home and rest.  I'm on much more pain medication than I ever really consider using, especially on a work day or a day when I need to drive.  Since I'm home, I thought I'd "pull out the big guns" as my husband said.

I tried going back to bed after contacting my boss, but there was no relief there and still no sleepiness.  I should be napping or something right now, but I can't.  I'm feeling out of order and unable to sit still.  My eyes feel like I've been awake for weeks, but I can't sleep.  I can't even lie down comfortably.  I'm restless.  I can't even deal with the television today.  I turn it on, hate whatever is on, search for something else, give up, and turn it off.  I've done this about three times today.  

I feel irritable, I guess.  It's probably a good thing I'm home by myself.  I hate subjecting Don to my irritability.  What's weird is that I recognize it (I hope) right away.  It's such and icky, uncomfortable feeling that just feels incurable.  Bleh.  I just wish I could shake it off.  There's a lot that needs to be done, but I'm in no shape to do it.  Yet I can't seem to rest.  It all just seems wrong and messed up.  

I am going to see if there is a trigger point I can find that might be causing this problem.  I have my Thera Cane and Knobble here, waiting to help me.  I hope they can.  If that doesn't work, I've got a heat wrap on my shoulder and hopefully I can lose myself in some reading or something.  Sometimes distraction is the only treatment that works for me.

4 comments:

  1. This might be all gone by now (I hope) but I can relate to being tired and not being able to go back to sleep. For the last year, I've been pulling a great trick that works every time. I know I don't have fibro, but who knows, it might help you. If you are interested, I can send you an mp3 file to listen on your ipod. It has the sound of ocean waves, with embedded delta brainwaves that lull you into sleep... aahhh! So if I happen to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I'll come back to bed and listen to it, and I'm out in no time. Kick that Mr. Sandman in the ass! Let me know. Hugs.
    Silvana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea! My iPod is currently acting weird, but I might try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you've moved on by now. What I find is that flare ups require a much longer recovery time than I want. There is only so much I can do under those circumstances. I discovered that I felt better having developed three plans, one for feeling the best, another for feeling the worst and one in-between. I had activities and plans for rest and food and friends in each circumstance. It's just that the earliest times this happened I would panic and it took quite a while to put this into effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still dealing with the odd pains from this episode, but I'm able to move more and have returned to work, where I can kind of pretend I'm not sick for a while and feel more useful.

    As for planning on how to deal with flare-ups, I have already developed a great plan called a "WRAP" which stands for "Wellness Recovery Action Plan". I wrote a post about it here:

    http://xsarenkax.blogspot.com/2009/08/thats-wrap.html

    You'll also find a link to my actual WRAP so others can use it as an example to develop their own.

    Thanks for your comment. I hope you're having a reasonable day. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.