Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lots of Presyncope and Tinnitus

I've been dealing with lots of frequent bouts of presyncope lately.  Basically, I move a little and have a moment of feeling faint. 

For instance, when I get up from my work desk to go to the restroom or to the kitchen for a drink, and by the time I get to the first corner, I feel a moment like I  might faint, but I don't.  I've never fainted (that I can recall), so I'm not sure if this is the best description, but I feel like I might lose consciousness - just for a brief moment - many, many times a day lately.  This has been going on for maybe 2 or 3 weeks now, or maybe longer.

Other times I notice this feeling including: in the morning, when I first get up and start walking around, especially once I start descending the stairs (very slowly); while doing my stretches; when I get out of my car after arriving at work or home or wherever; getting off the elevator at work; just walking.

Sometimes it happens randomly while I'm just sitting and working at my computer.  I haven't narrowed it down to exact movements, but perhaps it might have to do with raising my arms (to put my hair into a pony tail or bun, or to stretch), or turning my head.  I'll have to keep watching for the details to see if I can figure out the pattern.

I've also been having tinnitus, especially in my left ear, a freakin' LOT for the past month or so.  I mean, like mad!  I hear this loud ringing that suppresses other real noises in the world around me, so I can hear the ringing better (great...).  It's this high-pitched tone, kind of like after a loud rock concert, but it just comes and goes all day long, as it pleases, making me act like a deaf, old granny as I cup my ears to better try to hear what those quiet people are saying to me. 

SPEAK UP, FOLKS!  I'm not kidding; I seriously have trouble hearing you!!  I'm forever turning up the volume on the TV while my husband and I watch together.  This, of course, confuses the hell out of him, because I am also forever turning down the volume on the stereo in the car.

Anyway, I am not sure how these symptoms fit into the Fibromyalgia swirl of symptoms, or if they are related to each other.  Of course, I'm concerned that there is some new problem that needs to be addressed, like low blood pressure, arthritic issues, heart problems, whatever... I just have to put all the worries aside for now, until my doctor can assess them, and just deal with the day to day challenges, one at a time.

Do you have these symptoms?  Have they been attributed to Fibromyalgia or other conditions?  Did you get treatment?  I'd love to hear from you, dear readers.

4 comments:

  1. Both tinnitus and dysautonomia can be caused by fibro, but I do wonder if you might also have CFS/ME or hypermobile joints (dysautonomia is common with the latter, and it is also a risk factor for fibro).

    ReplyDelete
  2. With regard to hypermobility, my thumbs can do the finger-locking thing, but not the rest of my fingers. I can't hyper-extend my elbows or knees (I don't think), but I can bend over and put my hands flat on the floor with straight knees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may also have a B12 deficiency. It will cause episodes of presyncope due to megalobastic anemia - which is enlarged immature red blood cells. One primary symptom of B12 deficiency is a red tongue, sometimes sore. Happened to me...takes a LONG time to rebuild B12 and you may need injections or sublingual tablets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been tested for several deficiencies, including B12. I have never had the red tongue, either. I also take a Super B-complex supplement daily, as well as a multi-vitamin and other supplements. My husband was found to have a B12 deficiency, though, during a hospital visit (he has Crohn's) and he has a nasal spray for it that he takes weekly. It seems to be easy and helpful for him.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.