Sunday, October 4, 2009

Little Victories

I vacuumed today.  That's right - me.  It wasn't the whole house, but I managed to do the entire top floor of my house.  This is a big deal for me.  I smiled while doing it and even caught myself cheering a few times.
"Yay, I'm vacuuming!"

Vacuuming is a task that I avoid most days, because it is so taxing on my entire body.  Fibromyalgia leaves me weak, fatigued, and in pain all the time.

I expect a bit of a flare up after today's exertions, but I'm very, very pleased to be in a cleaner living space.  This is one of those things that I deem to be worth a flare.  It makes me feel a little better to know that I was able to perform this task - to overcome this challenge - and enjoy the results.

With my husband and I both dealing with chronic conditions (he has Crohn's Disease), we have been reduced to living in what we call "squalette" (not quite squalor, but reminiscent of it) for many months.  In fact, the vacuum cleaner has been upstairs and waiting for use for several weeks now.  It's been a nagging reminder of a chore that must eventually get done.  I'd resolved to be the one to do the vacuuming this time. 

Finally, today, I had my chance at noon.  I'd just gotten past my morning stiffness and pains, so I took action (before I'd change my mind).  Now I'm enjoying the cleanliness (while it lasts) and the calm before the storm (flare).

Ta-da! :)

Do you have a little victory you'd like to share?

4 comments:

  1. Vacuuming is the one thing I absolutely dread. I literally force myself to do it once a week. With dogs and a cat it is a must. Glad you accomplished your task.

    Cheers!
    Teia

    ReplyDelete
  2. And...we have a flare! I've been experiencing some new pains in my shoulders. It feels like splinters stabbing me in multiple areas - kind of like falling onto a big cactus or something.

    It's at least somewhat comforting to know the reason for it. Usually it's just a surprise and a mystery.

    "I will have better days. I will have better days. I will have better d...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually scrubbed the bathtub yesterday,of course im now in a pain but it was nice to see the tub shine like its supposed to for a few days lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a victory! I haven't done that in years. Kudos to you for the wonderful sense of pride you should be feeling. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.