Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another Diagnosis: Sacroiliitis

I met with my fibro doctor last Tuesday.  Luckily, I had the forethought to try to jot things to discuss down on paper, starting a week or so before my appointment.  I had a whole page of topics!  Here's a wrap-up of the major points we covered.

I explained about my hip and lower back issues. The doctor diagnosed Sacroiliitis and gave me a special velcro belt that helps tighten the hips.  It feels good.  I am to wear it as long as it feels comfortable, to help align the sacroiliac joints.  He even measured my legs to see if they might be different sizes, which can lead to this problem, but they are the same length. He mentioned that Sacroiliitis can be a symptom of Ankylosing Spondylitis, but didn't seem too concerned at this point.  (I'm still concerned, but we'll see how it goes.)

I told him about my screaming left knee pain that comes on sometimes, especially in the evenings, while I'm just sitting on the couch.  He named it Patella C-something (I couldn't spell it - maybe this is it?) and said to avoid sitting on my leg or legs and to also avoid crossing my legs while I sit.  These are very hard on the knees, he says.  He also said skipping steps while going up stairs is really bad for that, too.  I definitely don't skip steps, but I noticed this week that I do try to cross my legs a lot while at work.  I've been stopping myself, now that I know it's bad for my knee.

I told him about my frequent presyncope (feeling faint) and how it happens when I change directions or speeds.  He was initially concerned about POTS, but he tested my resting blood pressure (which was normal - not low) and pulse before and after some mild exercises.  My resting pulse was somewhat high at 92, but the increase after activity seems normal. I can't remember exactly, but I think he attributed the high resting rate (and my sweating) to the Pristiq, and the Doxepin may have something to do with the dizziness and lightheadedness.  At any rate, he did not seem too worried about it after conducting the little test.  I guess I still don't know exactly what's going on with this.

Doxepin is the stuff I decreased from 2 capsules nightly to 1 capsule nightly, because I was getting a crazy sweet tooth and getting fat.  However, it should help me with pain, so he suggested I add increasing back to 2 for 5-7 days to my action items in my WRAP, especially if I notice I'm not getting sleep.  He also said I could increase it for worsening of pain, especially in the wintertime, when fibro tends to get worse.  I just need to be aware of the side effects and keep them in check.  I am currently making an effort to eat healthy foods and cut down on indulgent sweets.  I actually lost a couple pounds counting calories, last time I checked. 

He wasn't too worried about my using Tramadol for pain about once daily.  I have been taking it most days in the mornings, when I feel worst.  He says that's not a big deal.

I didn't realize it until it was too late, but I completely forgot to mention the crazy tinnitus going on in my left ear all the time.  Oh well, I'll jot it down for the next time.

I guess that's it for now.  I just wanted to write something down to help digest it all, and share it with you at the same time. :)

My next appt. is Tue. 12/22/09 @ 8:20am.

2 comments:

  1. Terrific post. Where did you find a doctor willing to spend that much time? I have hip problems where do you get the belt? is it presciption?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. Yes, my current doctor is awesome! I was actually shocked that he, very patiently, addressed all the issues I'd jotted down and asked what else was on the list. I am very lucky to have found him. Also, I always take the first appointment of the day so he is on time and maybe doesn't mind spending a few more minutes on me, which I appreciate.

    I bought the belt from his office for $45. It is not prescription, as far as I can tell, as my insurance is not being billed for it. It may be available at local drugstores. If not, you can buy the one I got directly from Corfit, using the link above.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.