Monday, July 11, 2011

Weird Timing for Pain

Did you ever get sudden jolts of pain during odd times - usually with people around who wouldn't understand?

Today, my first day back at work after a week off, I was in a meeting with my boss and two coworkers. While discussing upcoming projects, my sciatica started acting up out of nowhere. I was probably making faces because it comes on so suddenly and fires those lightning bolt pains in the back of my right leg in rapid succession for several minutes.

I said nothing about it, of course, because we were involved in the discussion of the topic, but, needless to say, I was having a hard time focusing on the meeting. I grabbed my leg and wondered if I could voluntarily NOT wince so I wouldn't have to explain or be asked what's wrong. Well, nobody asked anything, but I'll never be certain that they didn't wonder if I was judging the discussion with my odd facial expressions or something.

Ugh. What a pain!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe in a case like that you could just mention... "wow, just got a shooting pain in my leg. Sorry if I am making faces. It will go away in a little while I hope."

    This would only take a second and then they wouldn't have to fill in their own story of what you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I'll try that next time. This time, the concern of the faces came later and after the fact. I was kind of shocked, but next time I'll remember to be aware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh that's awful. I've been sitting at work all day with lots of muscle pain, it's miserable. And I hate it when coworkers notice anything wrong too. :p

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you. Don't be shy. Please share your thoughts...

PLEASE READ: Your comments are moderated, so you will NOT see your comment right away. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES. I will post it as soon as I can review it, if I approve. Thank you.